Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just saw my dog eat a used tampon. I tried to get it from

Customer Question

I just saw my dog eat a used tampon. I tried to get it from him but he kept running from me. He has ate toilet paper and paper towels and washcloths. Just about eveything that is in his reach. But this strange. Will he poop it out like everything else. And should I keep water from him. Like I said it was used.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long ago did he eat it?
How is he just now?
Any vomiting or appetite loss?
Can he keep water down?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little over Two hours ago. He's even very active since. Running and playing. He's not vomited sny he just ate some more and drank a lot of water about 15 minutes ago. I pressed on his stomach and no problems. Also. He's mouth is wet. Not dry.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now with his being a small dog, we do need to be wary that this could cause him trouble. The reason is because tampons are one of those non-edible items that some dogs will struggle with but other will pass without trouble. The reason they can cause trouble is because they are a material designed to absorb fluids to allow them to extend to fill a space (which is something they can do with GI fluids). Still, the amount of trouble they can cause does depend on a number of factors like its use (if it was already fully expanded), size, shape, and length of the string and the loops of bowel.
With all this in mind, at this stage, we'd want to be monitoring him closely. For the next 24-48 hours, we'd want to make sure that his gut stays comfortable. Furthermore, we want to monitor for restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If we see any of these signs, then we'd have to assume its stuck and would want to have his vet feel his stomach +/- xray to make sure there is no risk of any form of obstruction.
Otherwise, while monitoring, we would want to put him on an easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice/pasta/boiled plain potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg, meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Furthermore, you can add a spoon of canned pumpkin (a good fiber source) to push the tampon through the gut. And on top of this, you can also offer cat hair ball medication or add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie lactulose, food grade mineral oil, or Miralax) over the next few days to encourage the tampon to slip through the GI and keep moving along. Of course, do note that if you use the GI lubricants, we can a bit more loose feces while they are being used (so don't be alarmed). With these supports we will hopefully keep the tampon from getting caught and get them out via his feces.
Overall, when dogs eat any non-edible items, we do have obstruction concerns. Therefore, at this stage, we'd want to monitor for the above signs and start the above supportive care. Otherwise, if he were to give you any hint of those worrying signs I noted, and we'd want to have a check with his vet as an xray and possible surgical retrieval would be indicated. But hopefully if this doesn't expand any further, he may be able to pass this for us within the next 24-48 hours.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it was used and expanded already. He was chewing it and I thought it was his bone. I looked down and when I saw a string hanging out his mouth I knew it wasn't. I chased him and he began in earnest to swallow it. Then it was gone. I plan on calling our vet in the morning but I just got an after hours clinic 40 minutes away that wanted me to bring him in and see about pulling it out endoscopic if it hasn't passed his stomach yet. He's sleeping now. As has kept the food and water down for about 30 minutes. He's swallowed earplugs and part of a magic eraser. If you have it in your hand. He will Jump to get it. He's about 23 pounds and usually has no trouble passing anything. I have some Mira lax but that's all on that list. Hank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
It is a common behavior/reaction in dogs when we try to get something like this away from them (they just don't understand the risk). And while endoscopy is good in the early stages, at this point it is likely in the intestines and out of reach now. So, if he is very good at passing these types of things, then hopefully if you use all of the above we can get him to pass this too.
All the best, *****
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet