Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My sons Lab came in from out doors and her eyes were swollen

Customer Question

my sons Lab came in from out doors and her eyes were swollen shut, and her snout looks swollen….. not sure what she got into…. any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. While I cannot 100% diagnose this over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset swelling on the face area on a dog including the eyes, lips and nose is typical of an allergic reaction in the dog, an itchy skin with hives or bumps elsewhere on the body may also develop. This is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy to an insect bite or sting of some kind.2. I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided Mogley is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK. However if this is a reaction to an insect bite the swelling would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.3. But if Mogley deteriorates, becomes more unwell at all, or there are other symptoms other than the facial swelling or itchy skin or it does not quickly resolve you should consult your local vet as soon as is practicable. { It is just possible that other more serious conditions such a snake bite could present like this. } I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Mogli is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the facial swelling
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.