Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

About a week ago I gave my dogs a frontline treatment. This

Customer Question

About a week ago I gave my dogs a frontline treatment. This morning I noticed one of them has a sore at the spot of application and is inflamed and oozing. I've never experienced this before and I'm sure it irritates him as he won't really let me spread the fur near it to get a good look. The spot also has a stinky smell to it. What do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. It sounds like an area of moist dermatitis has developed at that site of application. Sometimes some animals may be more sensitive to a topical product than a majority of the others. What I would recommend her is getting him to your vet for them to evaluate the area. They most likely will want to clip the fur in that region and be able to clean the affected skin of the serum and exudate that has built up. The clipping of the fur allows for the best cleaning and then for the area to dry out. A course of oral antibiotics most likely will also be needed to treat the secondary skin infection. If you just had the Frontline applied, the company will want to know about this situation so they can see if they can help too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Being a Sunday night I can't get him to a vet until tomorrow, is there anything I can do besides try and rinse the area with warm water?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
As far as what you can do until your vet can see him tomorrow, the best thing there is to clean it with some water and a very mild soap and then try to blot it dry as best as possible. Do realize that the skin is very sensitive / sore there and the last thing you should do is try to push this and risk causing discomfort and getting bit. If it is that sore, just let your vet do everything tomorrow.