Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Older Chula. Bloody and loose stools. Was at vet two weeks

Customer Question

Older Chula. Bloody and loose stools. Was at vet two weeks a go possible gallbladder. On a mad still more blood and loose stools
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. Can you tell me why gallbladder disease was suspected? Did the gallbladder appear abnormal in ultrasound imaging?
In most cases, I'm going to initially perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests - including a specCPL blood test which is most sensitive for detecting the presence of pancreatitis - and if nothing untoward is seen, proceed to ultrasound my patient's abdomen. If nothing confirmatory is seen, I'll culture feces for Salmonella, Campylobacter, and Clostridium and add Clostridial endotoxin testing. I'm going to pay particular attention to his serum sodium and potassium levels which if abnormal can indicate Addison's disease - an often overlooked cause of bloody diarrhea.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.