Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is wretching and making as if she is going to vomit

Customer Question

My dog is wretching and making as if she is going to vomit but nothing comes out. This has been getting worse as the week has went on
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A week's worth of now worsening retching indicates having her vet perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, and X-rays or ultrasound of her abdomen. While her symptom is important, it's not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder; hence, the need for a "work-up" indicated for a dog in gastrointestinal distress.
If the meds for her joints include a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, that NSAID shouldn't be administered at this time. The most common adverse reaction to NSAIDs is vomiting due to GI irritation and even ulceration.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi David,

I'm just following up on our conversation about David Connolly. How is everything going?