Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our dog Kozmo, a 10 yr. old Doxie, vomited last Monday 5 times.

Customer Question

Our dog Kozmo, a 10 yr. old Doxie, vomited last Monday 5 times. We took her to the vet and they said that her liver was a little bit enlarged, to be checked again in a couple of weeks. She is on a pill for her liver (Zentonil Plus). From last Monday to yesterday was the first time she pooped. We were so thankful for that. Then another problem occurred yesterday, she started limping so we took her back to the vet and the vet said she probably sprained her shoulder or paw and gave us some pain pills. Today my husband is saying he does not want to give her pain pills because that would just cover up a problem.
The thing that we are worried about is that about 5 yrs. ago she had a herniated disc in her neck had dye injected to see the problem and then needed surgery, she was so sick for a long time and that's how the initial problem started, she was limping and then started twitching her neck. We are afraid that back or neck problem is coming back again. Is there any advice you can give us about an enlarged liver and why do you think she is limping? THANK YOU SO MUCH, we are worried sick about her we love her so much. Frank & Sally Krestel***@******.***(###) ###-####
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Hepatomegaly (liver enlargement) can arise secondary to inflammation, infiltration, congestion/obstruction, infection, or hyperplasia of the liver. It can also be a benign and incidental finding. The Zentonil Plus contains SAM-e which is a hepatoprotective agent. We don't have any studies concerning its efficacy but it won't be harmful. There are too many possible etiologies of those changes to list in this venue! I might be able to narrow down those possibilities after reviewing her test results.
Front leg lameness is, indeed, worrisome for a cervical (neck) disk in any doxi and particularly one with a history of having already suffered a cervical disk prolapse/rupture. Of course if all of her disks in her neck have already been removed, a disk shouldn't be considered but, instead, post-surgical osteoarthritis and aging changes in her neck might be incriminated.
Pragmatically speaking, I'm going to provide a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) and opiate analgesic for such a dog. I want to see a positive response within 10 days of initiating therapy. If I don't see such a response, X-rays or even MRI are indicated. Not giving her the pain pills because it might cover up a problem is "old school" thinking...I'm going to get in trouble with your husband...Kozmo needs the antiinflammatory action of an NSAID lest she worsen unnecessarily. You can still watch for paresis (weakness) or paralysis which would necessitate further diagnostics and possibly another surgery.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with you outside of this venue. If you need to use the phone, I can opt out which will allow other experts to enter our conversation. Please let me know.