Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My 12 year old peakanese sp? started limping on one leg and

Customer Question

My 12 year old peakanese sp? started limping on one leg and now is in a lot of pain and can hardly move now my vet here gave me some prednisone that did not seem to help.The vet started him on gabapentin sat and I see no change and today is sunday except more pain than ever and could not stand for me to pick him up. The vet found nothing from xray and bloodwork. My wife said he was 10 rather than 12 yrs old. Hope you can help!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Georgie. I'm so sorry he isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
This sounds like an awful ordeal for both you and Georgie! I want to emphasize, however, that there are a lot of types of problems that can cause this sort of pain but show no abnormalities on x-rays or blood work. Muscle spasms, and vertebral disc disease would be at the top of my list. Neck problems are very common with Pekes.
Unfortunately, the medications your vet has prescribed are targeted at general symptomatic relief and are not a real solution to the problem. Because your vet was unable to come up with a diagnosis, he had to make his best guess at what kind of treatment might help. Clearly prednisone and gabapentin aren't doing the trick.
That means you need to see a vet who will be able to make a diagnosis. An emergency vet, internal medicine specialist, orthopedist, or neurologist would all be excellent choices for which kind of vet to see.
Anything short of a seeing a vet capable of a more aggressive workup would result only in more guesswork, unfortunately.
I've worked a lot in emergency medicine and dogs who are painful like this are not uncommon. Sometimes we can find the problem, other times we can't. Regardless, rest assured a much more aggressive approach to pain management can be pursued. Sometimes we add more oral medications like tramadol, other times we need to use continuous IV injections of morphine combinations.
The bot***** *****ne is that if Georgie were mine, I'd be on the phone to my closest emergency center.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I provided above.
How is Georgie doing now? Are things any better?