Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is approximately 67 pounds and ate about a 1/4 of a

Customer Question

My dog is approximately 67 pounds and ate about a 1/4 of a 72 ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips the night before last. I took him to our vet yesterday morning where he was evaluated and had blood work done. His heart was good and his blood results were normal. He's between 10-12 years old. Ever since we got home, he's had some vomiting, solid stools, not hungry, grumbling (I'm assuming that his stomach hurts), extreme thirst and frequent and long periods of urination. The vet is supposed to call me today to check on him, but I'm worried. He's just not acting like himself.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The toxic dose of this semi sweet chocolate for Finley is 9.7 ounces and if Finley ingested 1/4 of the bag, this would be about 18 ounces which is past the toxic amount. ESpecially since Finley is a bit older, it is best to take him back to your vet so they can put him on IV fluids to help flush this toxin out of his system. Watch for agitation, vomiting and diarrhea, increased heart rates and increased blood pressure. This may require treatment so it is best to have your vet hospitalize Finley so treatment can be given when needed. You are right to be worried.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****