Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My 8 year old female lab had an episode first time yesterday Weak

Customer Question

My 8 year old female lab had an episode first time yesterday
Weak shaking rear legs hype ventilating unstable
Lasted bout an hour
Our vet checked her over found everything normal
Today she had a similar but mild episode and then back to normal shes always been in good health
Help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.
I am sorry to hear Penny is having these episodes. I will need more information to better help you today.
1) Is she on any medications including monthly flea/tick and heart worm prevention?
2) has your vet checked any bloodwork (chemistry and blood counts) since the episode happened?
3) Did she fall over at all during the episode? Did she seem aware of her surroundings during the episode?
4) Did she seem out of it immediately after the episode, or was she normal after it stopped?
5) any urinating or defecating during the episode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes under vet car for flea/tick and just being checked for heart worm

vet just drew blood for heart worm

not falling over but gets weak and shakes is upset and comes over by me . is aware of surroundings

and resonds well

was normal after it was over

no out of control urinating or bowl movement.

she has no medical issues to date

this second episode was mild and seemed not to last as long as the first

bout 18 hrs apart

acts upset when happened

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
I see.
Given your description it sounds more like she is having some pain in the hind end, either hips or knees. This could also be seizure activity, however it does not fit a typical seizure.
Proceeding depends on what course you want to take. One option is trying a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) for pain and inflammation. Monitoring for any change on the medication would indicate primarily arthritic pain, which is very common in this breed as they age. Another option is a further medical workup: tick testing (blood test looking for tick diseases), full bloodwork (chemistry, blood counts, thyroid level) looking for any underlying diseases, and possibly x-rays of the hips/knees. These are the next steps. What I would recommend doing regardless of the path you choose, is to record a video of the next episode to show your vet. This can be immensely helpful in cases like this. I recommend following up with your vet if there is another episode to discuss which course you would like to take.
I wish you both the best. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

been very active dog . no symptoms of arthritis

did not mention vet cleaned her anul glands which was very distressing to her surprised both me and vet..

these episodes came out of the blue

will ask for fullblood workup testing as you suggested

thanks for your quick response

i will recontact if needed

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
Have a great day!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?
Dr. G.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just wanted to check in one more time.
Is there anything else I can help you with? Do you need any further information? Please let me know if I can help you further, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation.
Thank you and have a great day!