Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog is not eating or drinking day. appears back hurts dashchund. can I give him

Customer Question

my dog is not eating or drinking for one day. appears back hurts dashchund. can I give him one half 5 mg prenisone Sunday and cant take him to the vet till tomorrow
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
For an average size Dachshund, 1/2 of a 5mg prednisone every 12 hours would be a reasonable starting dose, if back pain were suspected. If his condition worsens, or if new symptoms develop such as paralysis or inability to use the legs, then you may need to seek immediate care today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i hesitate to give him a pain killler or cortizone since he is not eating or drinking for 24 hours possible tremidol for pain I have some
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Tramadol is a pain killer but it's rather weak and short-lived in dogs, so I don't consider it a great option by itself.
I also agree with you about not using oral medication in a patient who is not eating, but the only way to bypass that is with injectable medications administered by a veterinarian. If vet care is not available today, then the oral prednisone may be the best option.
Of course, there may be something other than back pain occurring, in which case blood tests or x-rays might be needed as well, to determine the proper treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since he is not drinking would prednisone or pain killer be best maybe on some peanut buter I am concerned since he is not ta***** *****quids for 24 hours afraid of damaging his kidneys but he will likely respond if pain is reduced
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
prednisone is not typically harmful to the kidneys. The bigger concern is digestive irritation when given on an empty stomach. Peanut butter would be acceptable, as would cheese or perhaps a piece of a hot dog.
As stated earlier, Tramadol is rather weak, but it is less likely to cause stomach irritation, so you could start with that and see if there is any improvement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks you may bill my creditt card one time for 19 dollars as agreed
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Kindly remember to provide a positive rating for me if you are satisfied. Thank You!