Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 6 month old Great Dane/ridgeback mix, Gunnar, has been vomiting

Customer Question

My 6 month old Great Dane/ridgeback mix, Gunnar, has been vomiting with diarrhea for 24 hours. It has been fairly regular. It is mostly bile and saliva. If he drinks water he throws it up a few minutes later. Earlier he was still responsive. Would wag his tail etc. now he is lethargic and not very responsive. We live in Kigali Rwanda. There is not pet hospital and the US vet has been out of the country the last few months. We don't know what to do. He is also drooling.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. It sounds like you may be dealing with Parvo Virus. This is a common virus that infects puppies. It leads to vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy and secondary infections. Unfortunately, the chance of survival without any care is < 20%.
The only thing you can do at home, is try to manage the vomiting and get fluids into him. You could use an over the counter antacid like Pepcid AC (Famotidine). You can give 10 mg every 12 hours. I would also try to syringe feed him every 4 hours. He'll still vomit, but at least you'll get some fluids in. The reason these puppies die is from dehydration and secondary infections.
If you can get to a vet for IV fluids, or at least Sub Q fluids, that would be ideal.
Let me know if you have any other questions.