Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog threw up last night, I gave him a bowl of rice in the

Customer Question

My dog threw up last night, I gave him a bowl of rice in the morning (couple tablespoons worth, I don't have chicken, vegetarian) he ate a couple bites, I went out for a bit, came back he threw it up. he drinks water, he throws it up in a few minutes. I tried giving him pedialyte, he won't touch it, tried a bit of honey on a plate, he wont touch it, but he did drink a little bit of water (I am metering it out, made available ~1/4 cup) and he threw it up a few mins later. the vomit has a light yellow tone on my paper towels I am using
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
It sounds like your dog is going to need x-rays. This is to rule out an obstruction in the intestines. If he's vomiting within minutes of eating or drinking, that is a common sign of an obstruction.
If he is obstructed, then he'll need surgery to remove the foreign body and then time to recover from surgery.
If you want to try something at home, I would first fast him for 6-8 hours. I would also give an antacid to settle his stomach. I typically use Pepcid (Famotidine). The dose in dogs is 0.25 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours. I then feed a small amount of a bland diet every few hours. If still vomiting, then he definitely needs x-rays.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.