Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Our 13 year old cairn terrier is panting and having difficulty

Customer Question

Our 13 year old cairn terrier is panting and having difficulty walking around. He walks a short distance and then lays down. I found some poop near one of the areas. He won't eat or drink. This all developed in the last three hours. It's 1:30 am on Sunday. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize that no expert jumped on to answer your question until now.
This sounds extremely concerning for Dylan. His symptoms indicate an emergency visit immediately is warranted. The difficulty panting and walking could indicate many possible underlying conditions ranging from severe pain (spinal, abdominal, etc) to true heart or lung problem. If you are still observing him at home and did not proceed to an emergency clinic, and he is not improved then I recommend you proceed now.
There is not much I can recommend you do at home, unfortunately. I regret that I cannot diagnose his exact problem based on what you reported but I too would need to perform an exam followed by some testing which might include lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check) and radiographs (X-rays).
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello doctor. Before I received your response, we took Dylan to a 24 hour vet clinic where he died almost immediately. The vet found lots of blood in the abdomen and suspects that he had a tumor which ruptured. She said this is common in older dogs. He appeared perfectly fine (typical feisty Cairn) one minute and in terrible deterioration the next. Thank you for your response. Your recommendation certainly matched the situation.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Oh, I am so very sad to hear this. Please know my thoughts are with you. Poor Dylan.
I am relieved you took him in on emergency, and again apologize for no other expert jumping in to answer your question right away. Please take care.