Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 7 year old Shi Tzu got out of our yard and was gone for

Customer Question

my 7 year old Shi Tzu got out of our yard and was gone for about an hour before we found him. By the next day, he was throwing up, and couldn't keep any food or water down. He still can't keep anything down, and now he wont eat. he does not have diarrhea. We have been trying to give him pedialite in a syringe to try to keep him hydrated. He just keeps getting weaker, and is very lethargic. What could be wrong, and what can we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Because Rocky's symptoms of vomiting and anorexia aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder, I have to consider a worst case scenario in a dog who had escaped and might have ingested something toxic while gone. Ingesting the sweet antifreeze containing ethylene glycol is such a scenario and if ingested in enough quantity will cause acute renal failure in as little as 12 hours. The symptoms of acute renal failure are vomiting and anorexia - hardly definitive for antifreeze poisoning but I believe that you can see my concern.
His progressive worsening indicates a visit to an on-call vet. There's no manner in which to know what he may have gotten into at this time and so a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests are important. Treatment is then predicated upon the findings in the exam and testing.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. It was helpful
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.