Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My Vizsla ate ten feet of his nylon woven shock-cord leash...

Customer Question

My Vizsla ate ten feet of his nylon woven shock-cord leash... Should we be worrisd and what can we do to help him? Please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Jedi. I'm so sorry he's done this, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
The quick answer is YES! You need to worry. Swallowing this length of cord can cause a life-threatening problem in the intestines that requires emergency surgery.
Additionally, attempting to vomit up this type of thing can also be problematic. The very best thing for Jedi would be to take him to your closest emergency center absolutely as soon as possible. There, with professional medical attention, they'll be able to decide on the appropriate course of action, be it making him vomit or trying to retrieve the cord right away via endoscopy.
Time is of the essence.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
To be clear, please seek emergency medical care for Jedi right away. That is the safest and best option for this situation. Please do NOT attempt to make him vomit at home or wait to see if he has trouble.
Getting him to the ER absolutely as quickly as possible is the best route to an easy removal of this length of cord.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm checking in to ask how Jedi is going. If you have an opportunity to send an update, it would be most welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to be of assistance.
Thank you.