Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We have had 3 days of Thunder storms. My 9.5 yr old schnauzer

Customer Question

We have had 3 days of Thunder storms. My 9.5 yr old schnauzer (14 lbs) will not stop panting. She's scared, anxious, and will not eat. There will also be fireworks tonight later if Chicago wins Stanley cup game tonight whic will make her worse. Thunder shirt is not working. I have tried everything to calm her. Is there something I can give her to relax and be less afraid?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Sorry to hear Coco is unsettled and anxious, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. There are many prescription drugs which your vet can suggest and this would be your best option, however there are over the counter remedies which can also sometimes help dogs in Coco's position which you can try as an interim measure. Here are some suggestions which I know some owners have found to be effective in the past. A. Benadryl has sedative properties in the dog, the dose rate would be up to 2 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given twice a day. Read more on how this drug is used in dogs HERE B. Melatonin also does have sedative properties in the dog , read more here, including dose rates etc. : LINK 2. Other than that all you can do is to keep her calm and reassured and place her in a quiet place in the house with background music or the TV on. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for prompt response! Your answer was within short timeframe and included short term and longer term option. Appreciate your detailed and quick response.
Hello again , No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online today for at least the next three or four hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Coco's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. Kindest regards, *****
Hello again,
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Regards,
Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?