Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I tried to cut my dogs toe nails, and cut a blood vessel. It

Customer Question

I tried to cut my dogs toe nails, and cut a blood vessel. It keeps bleeding small amounts. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
The most important thing is to not allow licking. This is critical as the mouth is full of bacteria and will introduce an infection where there is none
Next, since there is active bleeding try baking powder to staunch the bleeding. It is not as good as the options we have but something often handy in the cabinet. Other options are corn syrup. Once there is no further active bleeding try to put a sock on the foot so that she does not begin to traumatize and remove the clot and cause further bleeding as well as stops the licking which is fairly common.
If she is attempting to lick you can also give benadryl 1 mg per pound every 6-8 hours to help with the itchiness and desire to lick and allow him to rest comfortably overnight
Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses last night. Was there any further bleeding? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!