Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My puppy is constipated what can I do ,he's a two month old

Customer Question

My puppy is constipated what can I do ,he's a two month old your Kid?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Popeye and his constipation. In young puppies you have to be careful what you use to soften their stools. A couple things to try. You can add in a teaspoon or two of canned pumpkin with no spices to his food. This will help soften his stools very gently and not cause any stomach pain like some laxatives. If this isn't enough the over the counter laxative called Miralax, pick up at any pharmacy, is gentle enough and safe enough for a puppy. You will use 1 pinch (1/16 teaspoon) on the food twice or day. This should soften the stool and help relieve the constipation without causing discomfort also. So try the canned pumpkin or the miralax. If Popeye does not get better in a couple days or gets worse definitely have him seen by your vet to get checked out. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!