How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 12251
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 6 pound yorkshire terrier ate some of a keurig hot chocolate

Customer Question

My 6 pound yorkshire terrier ate some of a keurig hot chocolate cup (milk chocolate) No sure what I need to do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Thank you for your question.
If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (So 1/2 teaspoon for his size) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.
In the meanwhile can you please tell me the ounces of the cup that these are because I cannot tell on-line. But regardless if this is within an hour please induce vomiting. With Wendell's size and the concentration of a cocoa I am concerned about chocolate toxicity...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
So one of the pods is 15 grams = 1/2 ounce
Since these pods are primarily concentrated cocoa this could potentially be a chocolate toxicity for Wendell. Regardless of whether he vomits I would advise a veterinary er visit tonight to minimize any absorption of this chocolate, monitor his blood pressure and heart for any irregular beats, as well as intravenous fluids if they feel it is warranted. With his little size and the concentrated formula I simply would not take any chances and would strongly urge a veterinary er visit tonight.
Please let me know if this information makes sense and I definitely wish you both luck this evening in controlling the potential chocolate side effects.
Here is a link to the chocolate toxicity meter:
http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses last night. How is Wendell doing? Were you able to get him to vomit? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!