Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My young dog just chewed the cap off a bottle of charcoal fluid.

Customer Question

My young dog just chewed the cap off a bottle of charcoal fluid. The bottle was lying flat so fluid could get out. Her mouth smells of charcoal fluid. She came in and ate a little of her food and threw it up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. In my experience dogs rarely drink enough of these sorts of substances to cause much of a problem since they usually do not like the taste, they usually just play with the container and get some of the contents in their mouth. However you should thoroughly flush out your dog's mouth with water and then observe her for further symptoms, normally I would have suggested inducing vomiting but it is very much a plus point that this has occurred already. You can give her some milk from time to time to settle her stomach and then very light feeding for the rest of the day. Diluting the ingested distillate by offering milk or water is recommended as it can irritation to her digestive tract. 2. However if any odd symptoms do occur and you become further concerned then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include, drooling, vomiting, increased respiratory rate, walking drunk (ataxia) , and coma can result if enough is ingested. While there are no guarantees in my experience most dogs come through this sort of incident without too much of a problem. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?