Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a five and half year old pug boston terrier mix. She

Customer Question

I have a five and half year old pug boston terrier mix. She has been very lathargic the last couple of days. I fed her and walked her today, and when I was bringing her back in the house she started wheezing and she just collapsed on our deck. I sat with
her and she just laid there and I could here her stomach making girguling noises. She laid there about 3 minutes I got up and opened the door and she got up and walked in but she seemed very unsteady on her feet. She went straight to her bed and she's just
laying there
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Olivia. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
I can understand your concern; I am worried about your description of her condition. If you look at her gums, are they pink in color or do they look pale to you?
Since she became lethargic the last few days, has she been eating and drinking? Any vomiting or diarrhea?
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gums look pale and she hasn't had any diarrhea. she's been eating and drinking normally. She just got up and drank some water a lot acutually. She's also more active right now.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If her gums look pale, that really worries me. Pale gums can be a sign of heart disease (which can cause lethargy, wheezing and weakness), lung problems, or she could be anemic (low red blood cell count).
If I could I would be checking her for a heart problem by listening to her heart and lungs, and feeling her pulses.
If that all seems normal, I would next check her red blood cell count to see if she is anemic. There are several things that can cause anemia, such as infections, and autoimmune disease.
I am pretty worried by what you are describing. If you can get her to a veterinarian today, that is what I would recommend.
Good that she is eating and drinking. Until you can get her to a vet, keep her hydrated and drinking. Can you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer? Normal is between 101 and 102.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were going to call the emergency number to our vet now.
We don't have a thermometer. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Let me know what you find out, and if I can help with anything else.