Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog had 120 porcupine quills removed on Monday night. He

Customer Question

My dog had 120 porcupine quills removed on Monday night. He is an 83 lb husky male, 4 years old, healthy up until now. He never fully seemed to come out of anesthesia it seemed to us. Vet says that is not possible, he may have "thrown a clot".
He is very confused, circling, trying to hide it seems - getting his head stuck in odd places. He has started to urinate and defecate again and is eating icecream and cheese only, so far.
Any advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
I agree, some dogs will take longer to come out of anesthesia than others, but the effects could not last this long.
Although I do want him on pain medication, it is possible that the tramadol is causing sedation. I suggest switching his pain medication so we can see if the tramadol is the culprit. Does he have any liver or kidney problems?