brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

I think my 11 yr old lab has a hemroid. What should I do?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Just to clarify, are you actually seeing extra tissue protruding from her anus?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I can send a picture if necessary. She has been sick and has had a really tough time having a bowl movement.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
You can send a picture if you like. Dogs really do not get hemorrhoids. I'm concerned that what you are seeing is a tumor. These can originate from the anal glands, hepatoid glands or rectally.
Since she is having difficulty defecating normally, it is very likely that we will need to remove this surgically. I highly recommend having her evaluated by your regular vet - they may refer you to a surgeon for this procedure.
In the meantime, we should try to keep her stools somewhat loose so that it is easier for her to pass. Encourage her to drink as much as possible using dilute chicken broth or water from a tuna can. Feed easily digested meals of boiled white rice and boiled chicken - this will result in less waste product. You can also use human OTC Miralax - mix 1 teaspoon with her meals twice daily.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I put hemroid cream on it? She went to the vet two days ago and it was not there. It just kind of popped up over night.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
No, dogs do not have hemorrhoidal vessels, and cannot get hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoid cream is unlikely to have any benefit at all.
Was she having trouble defecating two days ago? Has she been having any diarrhea?