Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My springer spaniel is just getting over Pneumonia and we

Customer Question

my springer spaniel is just getting over Pneumonia and we finished the antibiotics two days ago. He still eating very small amounts and poop is black. Could that be from the antibiotics?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Could antibiotics cause black poop? Yes, it is possible.
However, I am concerned this is a separate issue.
When the stool is black in color or has a "tarry" appearance, that can suggest melena:
Melena
Possible causes could include:
- intestinal parasites (not just worms, but microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia.
- cancer
- a ulcer in the esophagus or the stomach (an ulcer is a wound in the tissue inside the stomach or esophagus
- from repetitive vomiting
- toxin exposure
Typical tests to help evaluate the cause of melena would include:
- A fecal test for parasites
- A blood profile to evaluate organ function and assess for infection
- x-rays of the belly or an abdominal ultrasound to look at the stomach and intestinal walls
So, I am concerned there is a separate gastrointestinal issue that will need to be addressed. Definitely, this is worth recheck evaluation with your vet.
Eating small amounts. Well, if there is any nausea or stomach distress, it would be okay to give an antacid to help some.
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
Ideally, try to get to a vet today to have the melena checked.
Good Luck!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?