Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 6 month old labradoodle pup has an egg-sized bump on

Customer Question

Hi, My 6 month old labradoodle pup has an egg-sized bump on his hind end near his tail. It's on the left. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it and I don't think it was there a few days ago when I bathed him, if it was, it wasn't this size. There is a scab on the skin but I don't see any discoloration and nothing that looks like a tick there right now. Can you help me figure out what's going on? Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. A few important things to consider.
1. It came up quite quickly
2. It is rather large in size
3. It has a scab on it.
These variables make me suspicious that some type of injury may have occurred. That could include having been poked by something or maybe an insect bite/sting reaction. The concern now is if it is abscess under the skin.
But, what if it is not a abscess. It could be some other type of cyst, seroma (a inflammatory reaction that fills with bloody-like fluid), and we can't rule-out a tumor (even at this age).
So, what to do?
No question a vet examination is a must with it already being the size of a egg. If the vet is unsure, they will likely suggest a easy fine needle aspirate test to help evaluate it.
Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.
Now, if they poke it and a bunch of pus comes out, then they will simply need to open it up, drain it, and start some antibiotics/anti-inflammatory medicine.
Good Luck!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. I apologize if you did not find my answer helpful or satisfactory? May I be of any further assistance?