Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, age 3, had very sharp hearing

Customer Question

My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, age 3, had very sharp hearing that diminished drastically nearly overnight. I'd purchased a powder for my dog's ears from a local groomer. The Powder had no ingredient listing, but I was trusting of the product and used it in my dog's ears. I probably used too much powder, but the instructions said to fill the ear to the top of the ear canal, which I did, and within a couple of days, I noticed she wasn't hearing well. I then used a liquid ear cleaner for dogs & to tried to clear out the powder from the ear. When I realized her hearing wasn't improving, I took her to the vet. The vet said my dog had a little bit of ear wax, but she saw no other reason for my dog to have lost her hearing. I have a gut feeling my dog's hearing loss was due to this powder. What can I do at this point to help my dog regain her hearing? The Powder is called, '
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** The part where it says what the powder is called is cut off. Can you tell me again what powder this is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WONDER EAR, Manufactured by Chantilly Kennels,***** Rock Hills, SC 29732 It can be purchased in bulk from www.chantillykennels.com
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
From what I am seeing about the product, there is not a readily available ingredient. Most people find that it does not treat active infections but does help keep the ears clean preventing infections . It sounds more like a drying agent than anything truly medicated. I do not see any specific indication that it would lead to deafness. However, if an infection is/was present, the ear drum can easily rupture. When the ear drum is ruptured, effective hearing is greatly diminished. The ear drum does heal though so the deafness in that case is temporary. The ear drum can be difficult to visualize in dogs with long ear canals. Some products are ototoxic meaning it damages the sensitive cells that are part of hearing in dogs. If those are damaged, there is nothing that can be done to repair them.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
To ascertain the level of hearing present, there is a test that can be done, although it is not offered at all clinics. It is called BAER testing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can it be determined if the ear drum has ruptured? How long does it generally take for the eardrums to heal? Isn't it suspicious that both ear drums ruptured? To my knowledge, my dog had no ear infections prior to use of the powder.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
An otoscopic exam is done to determine if the ear drum is ruptured. An otoscope is used to look deep into the ear canal and visualize the ear drum. If debris/discharge is present, this needs to be removed first to see properly. It takes about 2 weeks to heal if ruptured. And yes, it is suspicious if both are ruptured and no infection was present. With an infection it is common though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My vet used an otoscope, but saw nothing amiss but a small amount of ear wax. My dog's hearing has been questionable since April. She can hear whistles and loud commands. Previously, she could hear a candy wrapper from another room.
Should I get the BAER Testing even though it doesn't ascertain levels of hearing loss?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it does actually ascertain levels of hearing loss. A percent is determined as far as amount of normal hearing present.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
It is the best way to get a definitive answer as to if hearing is present or not, regardless of the cause.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a referral for a vet in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area who does the BAER testing?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Let me take a look here. I do know some vets in that area. I can see if anyone does that.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
The school there does -- University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, neurology department.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vmc/specialties/neurology/index.htm
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Some bluepearl clinics do as well. Not sure if their of these would be close enough to you: http://bluepearlvet.com/locations/minnesota/minnesota-hospitals/
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
I hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Let me know if you have further questions!
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lena. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily