Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dr. Andy, I'm watching my neighbors dogs and this morning

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Andy,
I'm watching my neighbors dogs and this morning while feeding them they switched bowls while I was filling up their water and I think that Annie, who does not take any medication, might have taken 10 MG of Hydrocortisone and 5 MG of Benazepril Hydrochloride. I have been keeping a close eye on her but I am very worried about what could happen. I would like to avoid the vet if possible because it would be difficult for me to get them there but what, if anything would you suggest that I do?
Do you think she will be okay on her own?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much does she weigh (estimate is fine)?
How long ago did this happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably about 60-70 lbs and it happened around 8 am
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Good news! Both these drugs' doses are very low and we'd not expect any harm for Annie. If anything, we could see some stomach upset or she may drink and urinate a wee bit more while the Hydrocortisone is in her system. So, there is no need to panic, no harm done.
So, we don't need to rush her anywhere or administer any specific treatment. Of course, if you did see any stomach upset or appetite loss, I would just advise planning to offer a light diet option for the next few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These can be fed as small frequent meals and after a few days she can be slowly weaned back to her own diet.
Further to this, if needed, we can also cover her with an antacid to keep her stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are :
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption). But again we can take a deep sigh of relief as these will cause no serious harm for Annie.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help and the quick answer! I am so relieved that she will be okay! :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I am glad that I could give you peace of mind here and that I could report such good news for Annie in this situation. :)
Take care & have a great day,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)