Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a problem with vomiting every two weeks or so she

Customer Question

My dog has a problem with vomiting every two weeks or so she vomits undigested food 12 hours after she eats. The vet switched her to hypoallergenic food which she has been on for a couple of weeks but last night she vomited food again. Her stools are normal
to hard and she does not eat fast. Just wondering why she might be doing this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Vomiting so long after eating suggests delayed gastric emptying but this is a symptom rather than a diagnosis. The stomach can have a problem emptying itself when there's a problem in the stomach itself such as a functional obstruction in the outflow tract of the stomach (pyloric stenosis, e.g.), foreign body, or gastritis (inflammation due to infection or inflammatory bowel disease, e.g.) or when diseases outside the stomach are affecting the stomach.
These patients often require multiple diagnostics in order to determine the etiology of such vomiting. I'll start with a basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests and if nothing untoward is seen, X-ray and/or ultrasound their abdomen. If once again nothing abnormal is seen, I'll scope and biopsy their gastrointestinal tract.
A food intolerance is a consideration in these patients although most food intolerant dogs also demonstrate a pruritic (itchy) allergic dermatitis often centered around their ears, face, and anus. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I am concerned about. She has been on a hypoallergenic diet for a couple of weeks now and still vomited up food. We have done xrays and blood work and I was told they were normal. The vet does not think anything is wrong but I think it is unusual for this to be occurring. She acts healthy. I am not sure what to try next
Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
If X-rays and blood work are unremarkable, ultrasound and/or scoping and biopsy (preferable in this case) are the next diagnostics of choice. I don't expect a hypoallergenic diet to be helpful. If it were to be, you should see improvement in the first few weeks although complete resolution of symptoms could take 8-12 weeks.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Hi Bretney,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jinx. How is everything going?