Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My chiuahua has been awake and restless. I took her out in

Customer Question

My chiuahua has been awake and restless. I took her out in the yard and she was looking for and eating some grass/weeds. She hasn't eaten her evening food. Her nose is cold and wet, but she is obviously in some distress and I don't know what to do for her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your Chihuahua girl who has been restless for the last little while this morning. There are a number of reasons why your girl may be so unsettled tonight, including anything from a behavioral issue (anxiety/stress), to an issue that is causing pain or irritation somewhere on her body, or even an internal organ issue, or early gastroenteritis. It will be a little hard to pinpoint the cause of her restlessness without seeing any further symptoms, or without getting a full physical exam for her by your local vet or ER vet.
The best bet for now is to continue to try and keep her settled and quiet. To decide whether she needs to be seen by your local vet now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't accidentally bite you):
Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if she is seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
It is unlikely that these symptoms are due to constipation, and I wouldn't recommend giving any more milk (dogs are generally lactose intolerant) or bran. Offer her some of her regular food now if you can though, and do try to encourage her to drink plenty of fresh water. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your girl. How is she doing now? Hopefully she settled and was ok until the morning. Did you need to get her along to your ER vet in the end?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E