Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog has a runny nose, won't eat or drink and is drooling.

Customer Question

my dog has a runny nose, won't eat or drink and is drooling. He came in from outside and he is wet, the sprinkler was on and I don't think he came in when it came on
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 8 year old boy Kyro who has been off food, drooling and with a runny nose. As you can probably appreciate, there are quite a number of possible causes for these symptoms in your boy including anything from a toxicity or poisoning, to an early gastroenteritis, to even an internal organ issue. Hopefully he is drinking well and not vomiting at all.
You are going to need to continue to keep a close eye on him for a while if you can. Continue to try and encourage him to drink, and perhaps try him with a few different types of food to convince him to eat something.
Please also keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is mixed with chow and has black spots on his tongue and gums. They look pink but its hard to assess his cap refill time. Any suggestions? He is not panting and he won't drink.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Thanks for the update. Yes, the membrane color and refill time is difficult with pigmented gums. For the membrane color, you may be able to carefully roll one of his eyelids down. The conjunctiva should be nice and pink. If you can't find a pink spot of gum, you won't be able to do the cap refill test - so don't worry about that. It is good to hear he isn't panting.
The rest of your boy's symptoms are definitely a bit of a worry however. Continue to assess him for the next 30 - 40 minutes if you can, and if he is still drooling and refusing water at that point, it would be better to play it safe and have him seen.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums have pink areas, I just can't really see the change of color for the cap refill test. The gums are not white or dark red. They look dark pink though. Is that okay?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Yes - that is absolutely fine. Don't worry about the cap refill test.
If your boy is still quite lethargic and drooling now, then I do think it's worth getting him checked over quickly at your local ER vet. The real worry here would be whether he could have gotten into something toxic. For this reason - also have a quick scout around your yard for anything he may have gotten into.
Best of luck,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Kyro. How is he doing at the moment? Did you follow up with your local ER vet in the end?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Missy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kyro. How is everything going?
Pet Doc