Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I was walking my dog tonight and he stopped abrubtly, Read more: http

Customer Question

I was walking my dog tonight and he stopped abrubtly, sat down and started to try to bite his back paw as if something bit him. Limping home, I discovered what appeared to be a tic in between his toes, but it is not coming out with a tweezers as it normally would, and my boyfriend says it can't be a tic bc he cannot get it out by pulling on it. The tweezer is making it bleed. He is limping, breathing heavily and appears to be in pain, raising his paw even on the carpet. I live in Florida, where there are many insects. Could this be another insect bite? I am hysterical with worry, and do not want to wake up to my poor baby having a swollen foot or more severe symptoms. If I try to touch the paw, he cries and is not allowing it easily. I did manage to put peroxide and then rubbing alcohol, and then calamine lotion that is clear and acts as an analsegic which I thought may take away any pain. Please help! Many thanks in advance, Stacie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Does the foot look swollen?
Where there any other sores, bites, wounds, redness, or inflammation between the toes, between the pads, or anywhere on the foot?
Can you take a photo of this "tick"? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
While I appreciate your response, I was under the impression that I would receive it much sooner than 4:30am. I stayed up until 2am waiting and worried. The site was marketed on "Google" stating that a question is answered every 9 seconds, and then on the home page said that at most it can take about an hour, but usually most questions are answered in about 10 minutes.You offered no explanation about what it could possibly be if it wasn't a tick, which is what I asked. I explained that he stopped abrubtly, and while we have discovered ticks on him before, it never caused such a reaction, and that when trying to pull it out with a tweezer it wasn't coming out as a normal tick would. If there was swelling or anything else I certainly would have said so as I feel my description was pretty thorough.The reason for my query so late was to find out if he should be taken to a vet immediately versus waiting until morning. He has already been taken first thing this morning so this service was useless. I find it amazing that "Gary" came up immediately to say he was available to help, yet suddenly he was no longer available within minutes of sending my question? So I realize different experts come on at different times, but I was certainly mislead by "Gary" who said he was available to help answer my question ASAP.I'm sure your service works for some people but it did NOT work for me, and again, you offered no thoughts of what it could have been other than a tick, which is why I stated that we live in Florida with many insects and further explained that is what it looked like but wasn't coming out with a tweezers like a normal tick would have, and was causing him severe discomfort by not even wanting to put his paw down on the rug, which never happens with a tick.If I am charged for this I will be livid, especially since I stayed awake waiting for a response until 2am as I already stated. I am sure you are good at what you do, but this experience did not meet the expectations that your marketing represents, and I won't be paying. Sorry, I would have been very happy to pay even if received the same response (which I am not happy with) if it was at least given to me in a timely manner. But that was not the case. I apologize to take it out on you, as you did what you could upon seeing my question but where was the expert "Gary" that was supposed to be currently on line to help me immediately? You don't deserve the dissertation, I understand, but give me a break.Stacie