Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Wheaton, Maggi, has just had three days of diuresis. Her

Customer Question

My Wheaton, Maggi, has just had three days of diuresis. Her numbers are still too high, 56. We have been told there is nothing else to be done. We are deciding when to be compassionate based on how she is in the morning. She has eaten some this evening, but is very weak and unsteady on her feet. Truthfully, she has been her own worst enemy in refusing to eat a kidney friendly diet. All she wants is protein. Anyway, I see her back legs are jittery and she sometimes stretches oddly, almost like some odd muscle spasm. Is that from the diuresis, or because of the underlying weight loss, muscle loss etc? She was a perfectly healthy 28.6 lbs. but is down 4 lbs and it shows. Is there anything else we can do to make her more comfortable. Than you for your assistance.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry you and Maggi are going through this together, 8 years old is way too young for you to have to endure this type of disease...
When dogs get to the point that they are not interested in food then it does become quality versus quantity and getting her to eat anything is better than nothing. I have the best success with jarred baby foods and rotisserie chicken also seems to be a favorite. Lastly, sometimes canned kitten food can be enticing to some dogs...
The muscle spasms can be due to an electrolyte imbalance created by the kidney disease but also can be due to simple weakness, with muscle wasting and often anemia as well it is common to see the trembling or difficulty holding up their own weight. I am told it is very similar in people undergoing this process when diuresis is not effective anymore, you simply are very very tired :(
It sounds like you are making all efforts to keep her comfortable, ensuring she is drinking or mixing water to her meals, a lot of TLC, and supporting her with a towel if necessary when she is moving positions or going outside to ensure she does not injure herself.
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am on-line another 30 minutes if I can be of any further assistance and wish you the best of luck in keeping your Maggi comfortable
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both, truly
Lastly, please ignore any automated follow up of the site because I know this is difficult enough that you do not need to worry about us bothering you during this difficult time....
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses and apologize if you had difficulties until this evening to do so. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sue,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggi. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maggi has left us for her next life. Thanks for your assistance.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am so very sorry for your loss, I know how devastating a loss like this can be. My thoughts are with you and your family...