Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Chihuahua started dragging back leg . Does not appear to be in pain

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your Chihuahua boy Junior who has just started dragging his bag legs around. If Junior isn't moving his back legs at all, or if he is attempting to, but is primarily just dragging his legs behind him, then he likely has a spinal issue. This could be anything from a slipped intervertebral disc, to spinal trauma or even an infectious issue, or even a blood clot as the cause. Whatever the true causal nature of this issue, Junior needs to be seen by your local vet or ER vet straight away.

Because there are a wide range of potential causes for these symptoms, only a full physical exam and diagnostics will help to pinpoint the true cause of this issue. Acting fast will give Junior the best chance of regaining full use of his hindlimbs in this situation. This could potentially mean anything from cage rest and some anti inflammatories, all the way through to full spinal surgery depending on the cause of the problem.

Please keep your boy as confined and still as possible while you get him along to your local vet or ER vet right away. The more he moves around, or the longer you leave this without getting veterinary intervention, the worse the prognosis might become.

Best of luck with your boy and please let me know how you get on when you get a chance. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Gayle,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your Chihuahua boy Junior . Did you manage to go straight to your vet? Were they able to make an exact diagnosis?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E