Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

On tuesday my dog had a bordatella shot...she was fine now she won't eat and is layin

Customer Question

on tuesday my dog had a bordatella shot...she was fine now she won't eat and is laying here and I found clear liquid throw up and she has peepee'd in the house not like her! she is lethargic...she is a DachiChihuaha...great temperment and i tried to hand feed her food and she doesn't want it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like she may be having a bit of a vaccine reaction. Vaccines work by stimulating the immune system. Sometimes that stimulation will lead to a fever, lethargy and decreased appetite.
You can give some Benadryl at home to help with these signs. It will help blunt the immune response. The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.
The other option is to run her to a vet where they can do a dose of a steroid and get some fluids in her. That will perk her up more quickly.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.