Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My dog went to the vet yesterday because she vomited bile and

Customer Question

my dog went to the vet yesterday because she vomited bile and was lethargic. she came home with a remedy for nausa and gas. they gave her fuilds . and her panel was fine . they checked her rectum to see if everything is coming down. that was ok. I haven't gotten her cbc back but her liver enzymes were good. she still wont eat or drink what could it be. she had no temp.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** When your dog had the panel completed, do you know if a specific pancreatitis test was done? Her symptoms resemble simple GI upset but also resemble pancreatitis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the panel should liver ok, I don't know if it include pancreas panel. we discussed pancreatitis and she thought the dog would be sicker than she was unless it was the beginning of it. I think she is sick.. her wbc came back normal today.they told me so. hope that helps. if she doesn't drink by 8pm we will take her to hospital.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Even with normal white cell counts and liver values, pancreatitis can still occur. Most blood panels are completely normal with mild pancreatitis. I have seen many dogs and cats with pancreatitis that do not act overly "sick," but I do consider not drinking, not eating or vomiting to be a concern for pancreatitis. I do not want to scare you but I do feel it is important, like you said, that if she has not drank until tonight, that she be rechecked. There is not one specific treatment for pancreatitis. Medication for any vomiting or diarrhea is given, but the primary treatment is fluid therapy to flush the body. Sometimes 24 hours is long enough in mild cases, but some need a few days of fluid therapy. There is a specific test called a cPL that is done to tell us yes or no if pancreatitis is present.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Even if the test is negative, it is important to monitor for dehydration as that creates a fairly fast downward spiral if it begins. Some dogs with simple GI upset will stop drinking due to the stress drinking places on the stomach, but this can cause secondary dehydration. Also, offering a bland diet such as chicken/rice or prescription I/D or W/D is recommended during times like this as well