Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What are the alternatives to grain free diet dog? Are

Customer Question

What are the alternatives to grain free diet for a dog? Are there any meds I can add to food or home remedy? Grain free dog foods are sooooo expensive is there people food I can use instead
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
What are you seeking to treat Happy for by use of a "grain free" diet?
There are no proven health benefits in dogs of a grain free diet.The claims made by grain free diets proponents are far and wide and very hard to prove. There is not any veterinary research to demonstrate their benefit. Grain free diets avoid cereals, but include other sources of starch (such as potato, sweet potato or legumes) and are usually quite high in fat.
If you have a specific problem you are trying to control with a diet, let me know and I may be able to point you in the direction of a more beneficial diet.