Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I think my 40 lb dog ate a 20 mg prozac

Customer Question

I think my 40 lb dog ate a 20 mg prozac
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. How long ago do you think Winnie ate this? Is she on any other medications? Does she have any other health issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No medications- she ate it about 10:15- I gave her two tsp peroxide but she hasn't vomited and is acting fine
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that information. Prozac (fluoxetine) is a medication that is used commonly for dogs to treat anxiety issues and behavioral issues. When it is used for this it is dosed around 1 to 2 mg / kg once daily. So a 40 pound dog weighs 18 kgs and dogs in that weight area would get 10 to 20 mg of Prozac once a day. In a situation with a dog her weight possibly getting one 20 mg tablet, there shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. There shouldn't be any specific therapy needed at this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What a relief -is it also okay that she didn't vomit after giving her the peroxide. She seems fine
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
It should be okay that she didn't vomit. That single tablet ingestion shouldn't be a problem for a girl her size. For some, the hydrogen peroxide doesn't work well to induce vomiting.