DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My Chihuahua has a raw place under her tail close to her ,

Customer Question

My Chihuahua has a raw place under her tail close to her butt, it's not a sore, but raw looking and some ha I r missing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. If the raw spot is off to the side at about 4 o clock or 8 o clock (if you look at the area around her rectum as a clock face) and it is open and draining or looks like a pin prick hole, then it could be an anal gland fistula. This is relatively serious and I would recommend you get her to avet soon. If it is just a raw area like a rug burn and not draining and no significant hole, then it could be just a hot spot. Is she licking at it? If so, do not let her as much as possible. Apply some human neosporin to it and keep it clean. Don't put anything else on it, no tea tree oil or anything like that. If is not improving in the next few days or starts smelling bad or she will not leave it alone, then have a vet check it out. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.