Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Eski Pom got into a small bag of lawn aid and now she is throwing up is there anything

Customer Question

My Eski Pom got into a small bag of lawn aid and now she is throwing up is there anything I can do to help her other than keeping her hydrated.
http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Naturals-Lawn-Aid-count/dp/B005P0Y4LG is what she was in to
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Thankfully, there's nothing toxic in that product even when ingested in excess. Replacing fluid and electrolyte loss by administering a pediatric fluid and electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte (or generics) by means of a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek is smart but if it induces more vomiting it's best to simply fast Foxxy for 12 hours and provide ice cubes for her to lick. If vomiting persisted longer than 12 hours, Foxxy's vet can treat with injectable antiemetics and antacids and replace Foxxy's fluid and electrolyte deficit by administering subcutaneous or IV fluids.
Once she stops vomiting for 2 hours, administering an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb and repeated in 12 hours should afford Foxxy comfort. It's difficult to replace all of Foxxy's fluid deficit orally (her daily requirement approximates one ounce of fluid per pound of body weight) but anything you can get to stay down her will be helpful. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Foxxy. How is everything going?