Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 6 year old choc lab - who has just started peeing

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old choc lab - who has just started peeing in the house - in the last 18 months her weight has increased and she seems hungry all the time and thirsty. I let her out frequently when I get home from work and she stays outside during the day - Im worried it could be diabetes or a thyroid problem but have no idea as to where to start?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
You're correct to be concerned about diabetes mellitus. Both Cushing's disease and hyperthyroidism are less common but both will cause polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyphagia (increased hunger). I suspect that she's peeing in the house because all that water she's drinking eventually forms urine and her bladder isn't accustomed to holding so much urine. This is called simply "overfilling".
Please schedule a visit with her vet who will perform a thorough physical exam including blood and urine tests which should tell you within 24 hours which of the diseases I mentioned above are present. Diabetes is most likely and would be treated with insulin and dietary management.
Please fast her for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw for the most accurate results. Never restrict water, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did review your reply. And plan to take her to the vet to be checked for UTI first if not then bloodwork for diabetes.Thanks you,
Tammy Simpson
Thank you for the update, Tammy. Keep me posted, please.