Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate hard plastic and when I came home he was bearing

Customer Question

My dog ate hard plastic and when I came home he was bearing down trying to have a bm and he cried. I checked him and he is passing hard jagged pieces and there is blood.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Poor wee lad!
I am very concerned about this situation, especially if he is showing signs of colonic trauma and bleeding.
Now his crying is not unexpected, since this plastic is causing damage and going to be very painful. If he is trying to pass the hard sharp plastic, the main focus of treatment would be gentle and careful manual removal of this before it can damage the gut any further (since perforations of the gut will require surgery or can be fatal).
In these cases, we often we need to have their vet sedate them to do this safely (since they do not know we are trying t help them, will strain, and not relax their rectum when these are being dislodged). As well, since this will be very painful, he will need dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc).
So, while your enemas have been something to try (though usually we mix KY jelly with the water to increase the chance of slipping these out), if he is straining, the gut is become damaged, and he is bleeding; then it'd be best to have him seen urgently so that he can be sedated for this to be removed. Furthermore, his vet can assess him overall to make sure there isn't anymore higher in the gut and no signs of damage to the stomach or upper GI that may need to be addressed to help him overcome this serious situation.
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )