Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is aprox 30 lbs, she got bit by another dog 4 days ago.

Customer Question

My dog is aprox 30 lbs, she got bit by another dog 4 days ago. She is very fluffy so I did not think that it puncture the skin due to the fact I did not see any blood but today I noticed she was licking her side and it is red and inflamed. It looks as if it is definitely infected a little bit of losing I put some Hydrogen peroxide on it and then I also put some drawing salve on her skin I was wondering if I could give her Minocycline and if so what would the dose be
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.
1. Minocycline is an antibiotic which is sometimes used in dogs and in the right situations it can be very effective. A typical dose for dogs would be in the order of 5 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given every 12 hours orally. Sometimes higher doses can be higher to treat some infections.
2. Where I give advice on drugs or dose rates I like to give a link so owners can check the accuracy of my answer and read further on the topic including contraindications etc. LINK
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.
Regards,
Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.