Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 26 pound pug ate 1 zyrtex, no other medications or health

Customer Question

My 26 pound pug ate 1 zyrtex, no other medications or health issues. I was going to give him his nightly benedryl, and I grabbed the wrong one. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. 1. Good news! Your Pug should be just fine and there is no special action you need take in this sort of situation. 2. Zyrtec { Cetirizine } is commonly given to dogs at a dose rate of 0.5 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight orally once or twice daily as needed. You can confirm this HERE . 3. From the above the top dose for your 26 pound Pug would be 13 mg and Zyrtexc is available in 5 mg and 10 mg tablets. So even if this was a 10 mg tablet it would have been within a published dose rate for the dog so things should be just fine. { Get back to me if it was a higher strength tablet } I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Zyrtec.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Evis. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Elvis is fine, thank you. I was probably being overly cautious; in any case he showed no signs of anything unusual.
Great news! Thanks for the update ... Regards, Scott