Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I was brushing my female dog, mixed breed 14 yrs old. I noticed

Customer Question

I was brushing my female dog, mixed breed 14 yrs old. I noticed a dried mass about the size of a raisin. There was also crusty fur around it. When I pulled it off thinking she got into something, it had a tubular looking thing protruding from her scalp. It was almost the size of a drinking straw in diameter, blood in the middle (also blood when I pulled of the mass, not a lot) and sticking up 1/3 of an inch about her scalp. None of this caused her any pain. She is suffering from liver issues, not failure yet. Any ideas about what this could be.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Are you able to post a picture of this mass?
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately live phone calls are not something I'm set up to do, I'll opt out to see if another expert can help you or I can help you through skype.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I text you a picture ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And also I thought I was paying 19 dollars for this. Going on vacation otherwise would have gone to my vet. Hoping not regretting this because of my concern over my beloved pet. This is a one time deal right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also 24 hrs will not help, I need an answer now, as I stated going on vacation need to know whether to go or take her to vet. Hope this is legit.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yes this is legit we are just having difficulty with your request of a phone call. You can attach or download a picture into the chat box which would be very helpful. You will not be charged until you hit a rating, no rating has been requested yet so you have not bee charged, if you could post a picture that would be helpful and we can serve you quickly.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive the photo?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
No I did not, I'm so sorry, another option is to upload the photo to a site like flikr.com or facebook and share the photo link with us here in this chat box.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry having issues with my computer and not savvy enough to do by phone. No way I can text a photo? If not out of luck, thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can text to(###) ###-####I'm having issues too this is my personal phone and not a company phone so I hope it works!
Dr. Dan
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Got it, I'll get back to you in a moment.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am sorry again for all the delays technology can be both a blessing and a curse. I have a suspicion this is a typical benign skin tumor (often referred to as a wart or skin tag). It is not uncommon for them to rupture on the top from the trapped skin oils and discharges that get trapped within the tumor. That is where the crusting comes from and when the crust is removed it bleeds mildly. In a dog of this age we always need to be worried about a mast cell tumor which is not benign but cancerous. A trained set of fingers from a vet can tell you more about how suspicious we should be of this mass. I strongly suspect not very suspicious based on what I see. Right now you can put human neosporin (or generic on it) to protect the bloody part from infection. This should be checked by a vet but is in no way an emergency, at your next convenience you should set up an appointment but I wouldn't wait longer than a month to have this examined in person. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, and sorry again for the rough start to our conversation.
Dr. Dan