Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My female scottish terrier is seven years old. She is not

Customer Question

My female scottish terrier is seven years old. She is not spayed. We believe she mated with a dog when in our yard. She has been urinating uncontrollably. We thought at first she was in heat and maybe marking which we have never seen her do that before. We are now believing she may be pregnant and has a Urinary Tract Infection. She was lying on a foot stool and has urinated while laying down two times. She is lethargic. She is up to date on all of her shots. She has never been pregnant and we feel bad if she is sick now. The other thought is does she have morning sickness? She has been urinating randomly for four days. We think she may have mated four to six days ago. If you know any way to treat her that would be great. She doesn't eat much and is very tired. We are wondering if we should rush her to the vet or treat her with something from a vet supply company. Thank you for your time and consideration in answering our questions. Jennifer and Familhy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.
I understand that your girl was in heat and may have been bred, and now she is urinating frequently, seemingly without control, lethargic, and has a poor appetite.
Did any one see her get bred?
Usually breeding does not make a dog sick. Dogs don't seem to experience morning sickness like people do.
It is possible to get a simple urinary tract infection during breeding, but this doesn't happen often.
Dogs that have a urinary tract infection will drink more water, urinate small amounts frequently, strain to urinate and lick their vulva more often. Dogs with a simple urinary tract infection are not usually lethargic, nor should it affect their appetite unless the infection ascends from the bladder to the kidneys. Pups with a kidney infection are very sick and are usually running a high fever too (rectal temperature greater than 104F).
We don't see these often, and there are usually predisposing factors weakening the immune system that allow this to happen.
I am very concerned about your girl, she sounds much sicker than an uncomplicated infection should cause her to feel. There are some sexually transmitted infection such as Brucellosis that could cause her to get very sick, and the concern is that this is something that is a zoonotic, meaning people that are exposed to her vaginal secretions could get sick as well.
I know that you would prefer to treat her at home as inexpensively as possible, and I wish that seemed reasonable, but in this case I think she is too sick for that. I highly recommend that she see her veterinarian. I would recommend an examination, urinalysis and possibly some blood tests depending upon what they find. You can request that things be done in a stepwise fashion so that the results can guide the choice in which test to perform.
In the meantime push fluids. The more she flushes out her urinary tract the better.
At home to try and settle her stomach and improve her appetite you can give either:
1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help her feel better.
I also recommend feeding soft foods mixed with water to make eating more enticing and get fluids into her. 
If she is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, shredded, white, skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger, and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken or beef broth or warm water to make the food softer, more palatable and get fluids in.
Then have her see her veterinarian as soon as possible.