Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Yorkie have a swollen paw in top of a nail, what can I

Customer Question

My Yorkie have a swollen paw in top of a nail, what can I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
So sorry to hear your dog has a wound! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing/ the swelling is not reducing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.
1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a t-shirt on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection
2.) Trim the hair around the swelling if there is discharge
3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry after a soak in an epsom salt soak for 10 minutes to reduce the swelling
4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning
5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess
6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the toe.
Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today but if the swelling is not resolving then please have your vet evaluate the swelling to ensure no medical management is necessary
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am on-line the rest of the evening if you have any additional questions