Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I am interested in buying a german shepherd dog. I have been

Customer Question

I am interested in buying a german shepherd dog. I have been to several pet stores and their price for a german shepard is between $1400. & $1700. I cannot afford that.
A friend of mine recommended adopting a german shepherd dog from ASR. Since these are all rescued dogs, I wonder if their abuse will affect their behavior. What do you recommend?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
First, congratulations on your potential new addition! I have been a GSD owner for 30+ years and a big fan of the breed but you definitely want to try a dog out for a 1-2 week trial period after you have made a connection to ensure that she is the right fit for you!
German Shepherds can definitely be quite a bit of work and require a lot of exercise in order to minimize any possible issues they may have behaviorally. At 4 years old she should have at least 45 minutes of a leash walk every day and definitely 5-10 minutes once to twice daily to work on obedience the first few months until that aspect is down pat.
GSD thrive on working so obedience is critical to ensure that she knows who the alpha is and what your rules, boundaries, and restrictions are at the home. Sit before meals, before leashed, to go outside with eye contact is key because she needs to understand that she only gets rewarded in a calm state of mind. Otherwise they will test you constantly to ensure they get their way.
If the first few weeks go well (no food aggression, beginning to understand the sit before rewards, crate training because dogs that are adopted from a rescue have a higher risk of separation anxiety and we want to prevent that from causing damage to her and your home from the beginning, a bond is deepening), then there is a good chance she will make a great companion for you.
But if she is timid, hiding, fearful and unable to move forward from the trauma of the rescue then she might not be a good option for you.
I definitely think some rescue dogs can be fantastic family pets and would not deter from adopting in this situation. I would definitely advise taking advantage of the free veterinary exam that typically comes with this type of adoption to evaluate how she handles new situations within the first few days which can be a telltale sign of how she will be as a companion.
I hope this information makes sense but please don't hesitate to ask additional questions. Congratulations on your potential adoption once again. I love the breed!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rosie. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman