Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

A few days ago my cane corso puppy(3months old) came to me

Customer Question

A few days ago my cane corso puppy(3months old) came to me foaming at the mouth, shaking and threw up. Her mouth was tightly closed and we had to pry it open to give her charcoal pills, thinking she had been poisoned.
We brought her to the vet who reassured us she'd be fine and it was just poisoning.
She's still shivering from time to time, shakes like a bobble head and is always sleeping. She has no balance and can't seem to walk for long. Please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I'm sorry your dog Buddha is ill. Her symptoms reveal that she has a nervous system disorder which could be related to a problem within or outside of the brain. I agree because of the sudden onset that toxicity seems most likely. However, because the problem has persisted for a few days, some diagnostics are necessary.
Aside from repeat physical examination, I recommend a full panel of lab work (i.e. 17 assay chemistry, complete blood count with differential, urinalysis and bile acids testing which requires a 12 hour fast). The purpose of the lab work is to look for any lab abnormality that may provide clues about the toxin as well as to check for metabolic causes of neurologic disease (e.g. one example is portosystemic shunt can result in neurologic disease in puppies and bile acids testing screens for that). Rabies is also a cause of neurologic signs and should always be considered in areas with that disease. Testing for rabies in living dogs is never performed.
If the lab work doesn't help identify Buddha's problem, then you will have the option to treat supportivly or go for referral to a veterinary neurologist where they may want to perform MRI and cerebrospinal fluid analysis. Supportive treatment may include fluids to flush Buddha's system as well as keep her well hydrated, meclizine for motion sickness if she has vestibular signs (sounds like she does), nausea medication such as Cerenia as well as anything else your veterinarian deems necessary based on the physical and lab findings.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Sincerely, Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response. I would very much like to have all those tests done but we live on a small island in the Indian Ocean and don't have that special care for our dogs. As it is we only have one dog clinic open on the island.
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thanks for the additional information. It sounds like referral to a veterinary neurologist will be out of the question. However, the remainder of the diagnostics that I recommended should remain an option. Most veterinary offices have onsite labs OR can send away blood and urine samples for testing at a veterinary diagnostic lab: the samples would be sent refrigerated and can be transported hundreds of miles as needed. It would be important to requests as many tests as your veterinarian thinks are necessary (and send adequate volumes of blood for that) at one time to avoid delays that can occur if you need to submit other samples for more tests to a lab that is far away.
The illness you describe for your dog Buddha is concerning enough that I would move forward with the chemistry 17, complete blood count with differential, urinalysis and bile acids testing. You can request your vet give Buddha supportive care as described above while you await the results. Let me know if you have other questions.
Thanks, Customer
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to check and see how Buddha was doing? Please let me know when you have a chance.
Thanks, Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Buddha is doing much better, thank you for asking. We are giving her daily small doses of piriton to balance her and it seems to be working.
There is not much else we can do since as I told you previously we live on a tiny island and there's no way the vet or the hospital would send a dogs blood work overseas sadly. We would have loved to have that type of care for our pets. Hopefully she'll be back to her old self in no time.
Thank you for your help.Regards,
Farah
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
I'm very glad to know she has improved. Thank you for the update and please let me know if I can be of further help.
Sincerely, Customer