Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Michael Salkin only Refresher 11 month old dog ate

Customer Question

for Dr. Michael Salkin only Refresher 11 month old dog ate rabbit. We did not de worm her until a week ago when she developed diarrhea . Our vet prescribed panacur. Now we are almost a week out and it appears as though the ear tip vasculitis is presenting
itself again albeit in the ear that was only biopsied and did not require surgery. Of course I did what most crazy dog parents do and went straight to the internet to research if the panacur could trigger ear tip vasculitis and of course I found articles saying
it could. I know the internet is both a blessing and a curse with regards to "research." In an event, I am wondering if I can start applying the tacrolimus ointment on the ear and if so do you think this will stop the vasculitis from progressing like it did
prior in the ear that required surgery. She is still on the pentoxifyline three times a day as well. Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Vasculitis isn't mentioned as an adverse effect in the "bible" - Plumb's Veterinary Drug handbook, 8th Ed. 2015 - which means to me that that effect must be extremely rare. More and more, you'll find lists of symptoms that have been reported after drug administration even if 1 person in Addis Ababa reported that they coughed once or their ear itched...I think this somehow protects drug manufacturers legally.
In any event, yes, it makes sense to see how the tacrolimus works this time around. I'd like to hear from you again with a progress report. Playing devil's advocate, I understand why the broad spectrum fenbendazole (Panacur) was chosen as the wormer but praziquantel needs to also be administered if addressing the flea tapeworm. Fenbendazole isn't effective against this type of tapeworm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for quick answer. I found a couple of articles where it said that it could contribute to it. I do agree and understand how it works with regards ***** ***** reactions and reporting them as I work for big Pharma ; ) I also happen to end up owning dogs that are those 1 and 1,000 who are affected by any and everything!I am not sure why the vet prescribed Panacur. When I spoke to her regular vet right after she ate the rabbit he said don't do anything. However, we brought her in unexpectedly due to gastrointestinal issues the other vet said just to be on the safe side to de-worm her and gave us three days of the Panacur powder.I will start applying the tacrilumus tonight and hope for the best. At only a year old she has not had an easy road and I can't imagine her having to endure another surgery. I will keep you posted. Thanks!!
Good observations! You can purchase praziquantel over the counter now in pet/feed stores or online. Please see here: http://www.amazon.com/Praziquantel-capsules-treats-tapeworms-PetsNeedMeds/dp/B00N1PZBVO There's no rush - particularly if you're concerned that the drug might aggravate a vasculitis. Tapeworms aren't considered dangerous unless found in large numbers in our pets.
I'll watch for your next post. You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In hindsight I probably should have waited and just did a fecal. Of course I don't know for certain that this caused it but a week ago her ear was fine and nothing has changed with regards ***** ***** or supplements other than the introduction of Panacur. Fingers crossed the tacrolimus is effective. Will let you know.
I understand. Fecals are too often falsely negative. I would have presumptively wormed too. Speak to you later!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Speak to you soon.
*****