Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 4 pound chihuahua has had vomiting and diarrhea all day

Customer Question

My 4 pound chihuahua has had vomiting and diarrhea all day and now I found spots of bright red blood on the floor in the bathroom. This all started after she accidentally ate some pot roast. I am not sure if the blood is from her as there are 4 other dogs in the home. There is no trace of blood on any of the dogs. Is this a sign of pancreatitis or something else?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
This may be from the pot roast. That can lead to pancreatitis, which causes vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. It could also be just run of the mill gastroenteritis that will resolve with symptomatic care.
The blood is not too uncommon after there is continuous diarrhea. If the diarrhea looks like red water or jelly, then I would worry about a condition called HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). HGE should be treated with in hospital care. Pancreatitis should also be treated with in hospital care.
If this is just some gastroenteritis, we can usually get it to resolve with anti-nausea meds (Cerenia), sub Q fluids under the skin and antibiotics (Metronidazole). I would see your vet tomorrow for that. In the mean time, you can give a dose of an antacid (Pepcid AC/ Famotidine) to help settle her stomach. You can give 1/2 of a 10 mg tab. You can also try to syringe some water, pedialyte or Gatorade to help with her hydration. You can give 2-3 teaspoons every 2-4 hours.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?